Counselling and Psychotherapy
Online, via Telephone and In Person at Chesterfield, Baslow, Matlock and Beyond
Welcome to Insync Counselling
If you are looking for a face-to-face counsellor or psychotherapist in the Chesterfield and Baslow area or would prefer online counselling or psychotherapy, I hope that the information provided here gives you an idea of the type counselling and psychotherapy that I offer and how I work as a counsellor, so that you can make an informed choice that secures the outcomes you are seeking.
A WAY THROUGH
We are all born with unique potential and the capacity for growth and change. The personal skills and attributes that can see us through life's challenges lie within each and every one of us. Sometimes though, the challenges that come our way can seem overwhelming. Life events and experiences can leave us disconnected from our inner resources and we lose faith that things can ever be different. This is where my Chesterfield based psychotherapy practice can make a big difference. Not by offering advice or solutions, but by supporting and guiding your journey towards deeper understanding and empowerment; awakening and harnessing dormant qualities that might otherwise remain hidden and closed to you. While collaboration forms the basis of our counselling relationship, you always remain the expert on your own life. Whether you live in travelling distance of the Chesterfield, Baslow area and can access face-to-face counselling and psychotherapy or would prefer online sessions, I hope that the information you find here helps you take your next step into psychotherapy.
How Could Counselling Help Me?
As a skilled counsellor and psychotherapist I can help you with many aspects of your life that may be feeling problematic. I am here for you to express whatever you need to bring into sessions; often it can be the first time you have disclosed certain feelings to anyone else. Sometimes it can be hard to find someone who can truly 'see' you and help you to identify the origin of your struggles. I encourage the real you to emerge and offer you transparency and honesty in our relationship. Impartiality, empathy and non-judgement are simply words on a page until you feel these in practice; only then can you begin to trust that you are in the right place. Counselling can enable you to gain greater insight and self-awareness and reveal how certain beliefs and behaviours could be causing you distress or stopping you from experiencing the life you would like. Counselling and psychotherapy offers many benefits including:
- A better understanding of yourself, your patterns in relationships and your unique needs
- Identifying your goals and strategies to meet them
- Understanding what drives your behaviour and the barriers that limit your enjoyment and satisfaction with life
- Developing confidence and trust in your own capabilities
- Finding resloutions to long-standing concerns, issues, worries or things you feel stuck with
- Gaining insight into old patterns and creating new ones.
- Identifying your goals and strategies to meet them
Each therapy session is unique to each individual. Therapy can be short-term (counselling) to address specific concerns, or in-depth (psychotherapy) to explore more complex issues, long-standing concerns, or continuing personal growth.
What Can Counselling and Psychotherapy Address?
Psychodynamic counselling and psychotherapy is effective at getting to the root cause of issues, exploring and resolving them to secure lasting change. Often, the changes that occur may be broader in scope than originally anticipated. My Chesterfield counselling and psychotherapy practice is particulary useful for addressing:
- Difficulties with relationships, maybe for example you are drawn into unrewarding or destructive relationships or relationships that fail to meet your needs. Or maybe you find it hard to trust others.
- Trauma, particularly complex trauma. Symptoms can include intrusive thoughts, ruminating, nightmares, flashbacks, anxiety, depression, panic attacks, problems with sleeping and memory and feelings of being out of control of one's life, lost or fragmented.
- Depression, anxiety and stress.
- Personality Disorders
- Low self-esteem and low self-confidence. Feelings of worthlessness.
- Behaviours that frustrate you, such as anger, lack of assertiveness, self-sabotage, procrastination, passive agressive behaviour, envy and jealousy. These all have underlying causes that I can help you to explore and resolve.
- Guilt and shame.
- Bereavement, grief and loss; particularly complex grief and loss
- Life adjustments such as parenting, redundancy, divorce and separation, ageing, dementia, menopause.
What Can I Expect From My Counsellor?
Acceptance, warmth, respect, non-judgement, empathy and trust will be the building blocks of our work together. Growth and healing begin with a strong empathetic connection between us, so that is where our work will start. But it takes more than this. You will be placing your trust in a complete stranger and this is an undertaking that I take very seriously. We will work at a pace that is right for you, gaining accurate insight into your emotional landscape and adapting interventions that are going to nurture you and secure progress. I offer a free initial telephone session, so that you have the opportunity to see if you feel comfortable with me and can ask questions without obligation. This session can also be used to explore any questions you might have, ideas around your goals and what you hope to achieve; if you are unsure of specific goals, I can work with you to identify some. Should you wish to proceed, I will work with you to build a therapeutic environment that is best suited to YOUR needs. Goals are regularly reviewed and progress monitored to ensure that you are getting the most out of your sessions.
How Can I Access Your Services?
I offer online psychotherapy and counselling using Doxy.me which is HIPAA compliant and meets industry standards for encryption. Further details available on request.
If you would prefer face-to-face counselling or psychotherapy, I have a relaxing, welcoming room in the South West part of Chesterfield within easy reach of Baslow, Matlock and Wingerworth, where we can explore your issues without interruption.
I understand that access can present obstacles and that some clients prefer their own home base. Please see my FAQ page for further details.